Master of Science in Applied Intelligence - Online
We are currently accepting applications for the online Master of Science Applied Intelligence cohorts starting in the Spring Term, on March 7, 2016 and for the fall term, beginning September 5, 2016.
What is the online Applied Intelligence graduate degree program?
The Master of Science in Applied Intelligence online program emphasizes the application of intelligence theory across the disciplines of national security, military, law enforcement, and competitive intelligence. The program at the Ridge College through Mercyhurst University focuses on intelligence as a process, using information from all sources and focused externally, that is designed to reduce the level of uncertainty for a decision-maker.
Given this focus, the coursework of the Applied Intelligence online program concentrates on developing deep researching abilities, proficient use of analytical techniques and methodologies, concise analytical writing, and effective briefing. The advancement of these analytical skills, in addition to an appreciation of the theory and history of the intelligence field, produce program graduates who are capable of leading in the knowledge-centric work environments of the future.
Lively discussion, informative presentations, scholarly study material, engaging activities, carefully-crafted assessments, and course outcomes focused on real-world application concepts are the hallmarks of learning within the Applied Intelligence Program through the Ridge College of Intelligence Studies and Applied Sciences at Mercyhurst University.
What will I learn in the online Applied Intelligence graduate degree?
Graduates of the Master of Science in Applied Intelligence online masters program will be able to:
- Interpret the theory and history of the discipline of intelligence
- Apply critical thinking skills to ‘real world’ issues
- Appraise collected data/information using a variety of analytic techniques and methodologies
- Prepare analytic products in written, oral, visual, and/or multimedia formats
- Devise open source research and collection management practices
- Facilitate and manage intelligence processes and practices
- Produce research in the intelligence field
Who should apply to the online Applied Intelligence graduate degree?
To apply to the Applied Intelligence online masters program, students must possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution, preferably with a GPA above 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. The Ridge College accepts students from a wide variety of undergraduate degree programs from political science and international relations to biology and mathematics.
Preference in admissions will be given to working professionals who will benefit from further study in the application of intelligence and data analysis. Please note that those who are just completing their undergraduate studies and/or do not possess professional work experience should apply to the resident MS in Applied Intelligence degree program in Erie, PA.
Online Course Information
Mercyhurst University’s online courses are delivered through the Blackboard Learning Management System. The classes are asynchronous so students can access the course material 24/7 without having to be "in class" at a specific time. However, the courses are not “independent or self-study.” You may be required to brief or "meet" with your instructor or group members in an online format.
Courses are designed with 10 weekly learning units which includes due dates and times each week for assignments, including required readings, postings to the discussion board, written products, presentations and other projects. Students generally log into the course at least three times per week and can expect to spend an average of 10 hours per week working on assignments.
Class sizes are limited to approximately 20 students, so that individual attention is assured. In addition to communication through Blackboard, instructors are accessible by phone and email.
What are the requirements of the online Applied Intelligence graduate degree?
For full course descriptions, click here.
- INTL 501 Research Methods in Intelligence
- INTL 510 Intelligence Theory and Applications
- INTL 540 Competitive Intelligence
- INTL 576 Law Enforcement Intelligence
- INTL 580 Intelligence Communications
- INTL 615 Contemporary Leadership for Intelligence
INTL 655 Managing Strategic Intelligence
(select 3 for thesis option or 4 for research-based project option)
- INTL 520 Advanced Analytic Techniques
- INTL 560 Cyber Threat Analysis
- INTL 590 Intelligence Support to Targeting
- INTL 595 Geospatial Intelligence
- INTL 6XX Social Network Analysis
- INTL 620 Nonproliferation Analysis
- INTL 626 Financial Intelligence Analysis
- INTL 627 Graduate Seminar: National Security
- INTL 633 Studies in Terrorism
- INTL 640 Intelligence, the Military, and Warfare
- INTL 650 Topics in Intelligence
- INTL 675 Internship (3 credits)
- INTL 676 Research-based Project
- INTL 679 Intelligence Thesis Seminar (1 credit) AND INTL 680 Thesis in Applied Intelligence
What is the estimated cost of the online Applied Intelligence graduate degree?
Students enrolled in the online Master of Science in Applied Intelligence Program have a choice between two capstone experiences to enhance their graduate studies at Mercyhurst University. Credits vary according to capstone selection:
- Thesis Option - students graduate with 34 credits
- Research-based Project Option - students graduate with 36 credits
- 3 Credit Course: $2,400.00 USD
2016-2017 Required Fees
- Registration Fee (per term) $50.00
- Technology Fee (per term) $70.00
- Applied Intelligence Fee (per term when a student is enrolled full-time at 2 classes/6 credits) $170.00
NOTE: This fee will be pro-rated at $85 per 3 credit course.
Approximate Total Cost for Attendance for the Degree
(Please note that these are based on 2016-2017 tuition/fee rates and do not include housing and vary based on how many courses a student takes per term and over how many terms; tuition and fees may be increased each academic year)
Research-based Project Option (36 credits)
- Full-time (2 courses per term): $30,540.00 USD
- Part-time (1 course per term): $31,260.00 USD
Thesis Option (34 credits)
- Full-time (2 courses per term): $28,855.00 USD
- Part-time (1 course per term): $29,455.00 USD
Mercyhurst University has a payment plan system to assist those who will not be using loans to cover the cost of their education. You can find out more about the payment plan option here: Mercyhurst Payment Plan Information
When can I take online classes?
Mercyhurst operates on the term system, with four terms in each academic year: Fall, Winter, Spring. and Summer. Each term is 10 1/2 weeks long.
2016–2017 Term Schedule for Online Classes:SPRING TERM: March 7, 2016 - May 17. 2016SUMMER TERM: June 6, 2016 - August 16, 2016FALL TERM: September 5, 2016 - November 15, 2016
WINTER TERM: November 28, 2016 - February 20, 2017 (Break December 18 - January 2)
SPRING TERM: March 6, 2017 - May 15, 2017
Enroll in the Applied Intelligence online masters program through the Ridge College in Erie, PA!
Ms. Linda Bremmer, Director of Online and Offsite Graduate Intelligence Programs
Institute for Intelligence Studies
501 E 38th St
Erie, PA 16546-0001 USA